After tomorrow, I will have completed my first two weeks of grad school. Hard to believe! Overall, it has been alright. Starting out was pretty tough for me. I was REALLY nervous, not sure what to expect and how things were going to go and how hard it was going to be and just everything had me pretty worried. Somehow I made it through all the worrying and went to my first day of class last Tuesday. It was a class on Stuttering and Fluency. I think it was a good thing to have that class be the first in my grad school experience because my teacher was really nice and tried to ease us into grad school. Needless to say, after Tuesdays class I felt much more relieved and started to feel like maybe I actually can do this. I have 4 classes plus clinic time. Each class is 3 hours long....so awful! It is so hard to sit and try to concentrate for that long in one place. It is just hard! I haven't gotten used to it yet, and I don't think I ever will. Basically my schedule goes like this: T- 8:45-11:45 am Stuttering and Fluency, 12-1 Clinic Meeting, 2-3:30 Institute. W- 8:30- 11:30 Assessment of Childhood Language Disorders. Th- 8:00-11:00 am Aphasia (a type of lang. disorder) , 12:30-3:30 pm Articulation and Phonology. Somewhere in my week will be my clinic time, but we haven't been put into the clinic schedule yet so that is to come. Overall, its pretty nice having only 4 classes. The one thing that is hard already is all the reading. Seriously its like a TON everyday! I just need to try and stay on top of it so I don't fall behind. After two weeks, I can say that I am much more relaxed than I was the first day of class. Tests are already coming up, which just seems crazy to me. The sleep thing is also a little bothersome. I can't stay up late anymore, and thats sad to me. I have to be in bed by like 11 in order to be able to function in class the next morning. So sad! But, gotta do it. Well, thats school. Just keep chuggin!
Last weekend Kristin, Craig, and I went to Swiss Days in Midvale. It was pretty fun, basically just a HUGE craft fair that you walk around a buy stuff. Plus they had tons of food vendors too. We didn't buy anything, but we did try the food. They had knockwurst (sp?) and sourkraut (my favorite....not!) and I had a huge scone. Mine was delish! It was a fun afternoon even though it was reallly hot! This weekend is the Salt Lake County Faire (I think). Carolyn, Paul, and I (and hopefully kris and craig) are going to try and go to that. Should be fun, I've never been!
Oh and here is just a fun picture of me!
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
2 (well, almost 2) down......many many more to go
Posted by Emily at 4:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Wow! 3 hour classes?!? That is a really long time to sit in one spot and give your undivided attention. Sounds like you're doing well though and enjoyed your first couple weeks!
You SURVIVED the first day of class!! YEAH!!! Now, go reward yourself with some ICE CREAM!
Semily Street- we need an update!
Post a Comment